Now for something completely different

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

Post by kempin »

Well guys, I just thought I'd report back.

After listening to your advice, I just HAD to order a Rock Island mil spec. After some adventures with backorder, it arrived. Total out the door cost: $323.05 Not bad for a brand new 1911 with case and limited lifetime warranty. (Whatever that's worth.)

Have to be honest, it felt great. Cycled a few rounds through it. Can't wait to shoot it. (That's the problem with "city life"--can't just take it out back and test it out.) If it turns out to be as good as reported, I will be thrilled.

Now I just want to know: Do any of you have a "pet load" for the 45 acp? Planning to load my own, and I don't want to re-invent the wheel.

Also, it seems to have a "half cock" hammer safety. Do they all have that? (This is my first 1911)

Anyway, thanks for the advice. So far I am glad I listened to you guys.

God bless and straight shooting.

-Kempin
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

kempin,

First, yes the 1911 does have the half cock on the trigger which I like.

Be sure to clean the pistol good and lube it up like you would any firearm. Usually, the shipping grease/oil is a rust preventative and does not lubricate very well.

I shoot S&B in mine right now because that is what I have. It should shoot most any hardball with no problems and hollow points. But remember, this weapon was designed for hardball, so some may not like hollow points too much; just give different ones a try.

As to reloading, I used to reload when I was shooting combat matches, but I shot lead bullets, so I don't have any good data for you. Some of the other guys may be able to help on this question.

I think you will like the Rock Island, I am WELL pleased with mine! I also did acouple of other thing to mine for a personal taste. I changed the grip panels out to the GI plastic, and the rear grip piece to the "arched" 1911A1 style rather than the 1911 "Flat" type. As I said, this was just personal to make it look exactly like a 1911A1.
p64

Post by p64 »

A Kimber .45 is my "go to" weapon of choice.
S&B shoots well in a .45 and costs less also for target shooting.
As for defensive rounds, my #1 choice is Remington Golden Sabre.
Sometimes (pretty often actually), I'll carry a cocktail, a mix of mostly Golden Sabres with two FMJ thrown in.
I ALWAYS shoot 230 grain.

Enough of that, Welcome to the world of the .45 1911! I'm not real familiar with the RI but am considering one so please post updates as to accuracy, reliability, etc. I love my Kimber and I'm getting a Wilson Combat but both are so pretty, a $325 RI sounds like I won't have to concern myself with the cosmetics. I shoot my guns hard and carry them but I also pamper them with TLC. The RI might be just the gun to bang around a little and not pamper.

Best of luck and I really hope that you thoroughly enjoy it.

George
Last edited by p64 on March 30th, 2006, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

p64,

You hit the nail on the head with RI; it is an ently level .45 that works, feels like the .45, with accuracy about what the military models were. The good part is that the parts are the same as the military, so you can do a LOT of modifications as the funds become available. Reading past posting on the RI, the pistol has been used for custom jobs and I have never anything really bad about the pistol. For the money, it can't be beat.
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

I also did acouple of other thing to mine for a personal taste. I changed the grip panels out to the GI plastic, and the rear grip piece to the "arched" 1911A1 style rather than the 1911 "Flat" type. As I said, this was just personal to make it look exactly like a 1911A1.
I bought a Chinese Norinco Model of the 1911a1 many years ago for exactly that reason -- it looked exactly like the one I had carried day and night for a year (back when I was working for my Uncle Sam)!

I kept that Nork for a dozen years. I only let it go a few months ago in exchange for a Kahp P9 (nostalgia only takes you just so far...).
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

From what I have read, the parts for the RI are made in China and assembled in the Phillipines. The parts may be made by Norinco??????
p64

Post by p64 »

Glad to hear the reviews on the RI.
I'm a current Kimber owner and love it, next will be a RI followed by another Kimber (Ultra Carry) and saving my pennies and hinting a whole lot to the boss (wife) about a Wilson Combat.
Believe it or not, you really can carry a full sized 1911 concealed. I've never been "made" in public with it that I know of. Maybe someone else who carrys and isn't a sheeple made it but never brought it to my attention.
The CD is one I've been told to stay away from but heard on another forum that the RI is pretty decent.
Whatever your choice, welcome to the .45 1911 and enjoy.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

p64,

I have heard that the CD does give more problems, but I thought they were made by the same company?????? But from what I have read, the CD is not as well assembled as the RI. From all accounts I have seen, the RI is good.
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

I'm a current Kimber owner and love it, next will be a RI followed by another Kimber (Ultra Carry) and saving my pennies and hinting a whole lot to the boss (wife) about a Wilson Combat.
I, too, am a happy Kimber owner. I have a Pro Carry CDP with which I am delighted. However, recently I've been hearing some unsubstantiated reports to the effect that Kimber has been having some difficulties with their CNC production.

I know nothing of manufacturing or production issues, but I would surmise that a Wilson Combat is probably a whole 'nother level of quality...
p64

Post by p64 »

Tunnelrat

As a Kimber owner you know the quality, forget the rumors just look at how people look down on our little P-64's. I like my P-64 and in fact name my guns. My Kimber is Beauty and my P-64 is Beast. Already have names for my Wilson Combat (Lady) and my RI (Tramp).
Knowing the feel of quality in your Kimber just go to your local gun store and rack the slide on a Wilson Combat, you'll feel the difference. I'm not sure yet, the Tactical Super Grade Probably) or the Classic Super Grade (Maybe). Either way it won't be till Christmas.
kempin

Post by kempin »

Wow.

You guys Rock.

(No pun intended)

I took your advice and ordered the Rock Island, and finally had a chance to shoot it today. It was awesome! I'm sure my expectations were adjusted by the fact that it was so much cheaper than other brands, but boy was I pleasantly surprised! Not only did it feel good, functiion well, and provide me with a lot of personal joy/testosterone boost as I felt the distinctive shockwave of 45 acp, but the thing SHOT WELL! I was shooting five shot groups in ragged holes at seven to ten yards. (Of course ONE round makes a ragged hole with the big bores!) I was easily putting them in a 12 inch target at 25 yards, and I'm not even USED to the thing! This is my first 1911! It's not even broken in! (Plus consider the fact that I was so excited I was shaking.)

I now understand why 1911 fans are so devoted, and I look forward to seeing what this pistol will do with various loads. Perhaps one day I will want to modify it, but right now I like it as is.

As Humphrey Bogart once said: "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

So again, thanks for the advice. There are many fine pistols out there, but for the money, (in my opinion) this one is hard to beat.

Abwehr, your take was right on.

p64--go ahead and buy one as a beater pistol. For the price you can't go wrong. But don't be surprised if, after getting it, you find it hard to abuse.

God bless and straight shooting,

Kempin
kempin

Post by kempin »

Wow.

You guys Rock.

(No pun intended)

I took your advice and ordered the Rock Island, and finally had a chance to shoot it today. It was awesome! I'm sure my expectations were adjusted by the fact that it was so much cheaper than other brands, but boy was I pleasantly surprised! Not only did it feel good, functiion well, and provide me with a lot of personal joy/testosterone boost as I felt the distinctive shockwave of 45 acp, but the thing SHOT WELL! I was shooting five shot groups in ragged holes at seven to ten yards. (Of course ONE round makes a ragged hole with the big bores!) I was easily putting them in a 12 inch target at 25 yards, and I'm not even USED to the thing! This is my first 1911! It's not even broken in! (Plus consider the fact that I was so excited I was shaking.)

I now understand why 1911 fans are so devoted, and I look forward to seeing what this pistol will do with various loads. Perhaps one day I will want to modify it, but right now I like it as is.

As Humphrey Bogart once said: "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

So again, thanks for the advice. There are many fine pistols out there, but for the money, (in my opinion) this one is hard to beat.

Abwehr, your take was right on.

p64--go ahead and buy one as a beater pistol. For the price you can't go wrong. But don't be surprised if, after getting it, you find it hard to abuse.

God bless and straight shooting,

Kempin
kempin

Post by kempin »

(Sorry for the extra post. We are having a storm, and I had some problems with my connection.)
p64

Post by p64 »

kempin

I will get one. I never met a 1911 I didn't like :)
Thanks for the report on yours and once again, Welcome to the world of the 1911! :)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

p64,

"kempin" gave the Range Report that most folks give with the RI. For the money, it can't be beat. The onlyb changes I made to mine were to replace the wood grips with GI brown plastic from WWII and I replaced the flat Mainspring Housing with the "arched" type. Now it is a full 1911A1 .45 ACP (I also like the feel of the arched mainspring Housing better too). They are great pistols that duplicate the original GI for functioning, reliability, and accuracy.