Mags dropping after last round fired

Info, pictures, advice...
newgunner

Post by newgunner »

After shooting a couple boxes of 9 mm with my Ruger P89 ,to see if I could still actually hit the target with a familiar pistol, I switched over to my new P-64.

I couldn't believe how well this little fellow shoots! I was hitting the target better than I every do with my Ruger. The recoil was a little more noticeable, but didn't bother me. After about 5 full magazines had been fired I started getting mag drops after the last round was fired. Any guess what would cause this? I have replaced the hammer spring with the Wolff 16# spring, should I put the original spring back in?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I only had one round fail to chamber out of 200 rounds, and may have been because of the mag drop.
Last edited by newgunner on February 12th, 2006, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

Since the mainspring also tensions the magazine release, there MAY be a connection. Also, at the last round, the magazine spring is contributing the least it ever does. First, determine if it only happens with one mag, and not others. Then look carefully at the condition and angle of both the 'bump' on the back of the mag and the mating surface on the release. Should be smooth, no burrs, 90 degrees, and sharp corners. With heavy (100 g +) loads, the recoil action is quite sharp and if there is any 'weakness' in the mag retention mechanism, it can get jarred loose.

Some competition shooters would love a reliable automatic magazine drop after last round, LOL?
newgunner

Post by newgunner »

Thanks for the reply!

The mag drop happens with both magazines. I was also shooting 100g Wolf. I'll see if I can find some 92g Silver Bear and try that next weekend. If that doesn't cure the problem I may put the original hammer spring back in and see if that eliminates the mags dropping.

Thanks!
mongo

Post by mongo »

yup.. the HK spring will cure it until Wolff gets a replacement in stock.
ecuman

Post by ecuman »

I am also experiencing mag drops on the last round. It did not occur with stock springs and Wolf 100 gr FMJ during the first three mags that I put thru my P-64. Mag drops became an issue after installation of the Wolff 16# hammer spring and still with Wolf 100 gr FMJ. After replacing the recoil spring with retro fitted HK, the mag drop occurance was much less even with Wolf 100 gr. Mag drops still occur even with 95gr ammo, but less offen.

I have also considered going back to the stock springs. However, I see the better DA, lighter recoil and less slide/frame banging as significate positive to offset an occasional mag drop. I may try some of the 92gr ammo.