Any Handloaders?

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

Any Handloaders?

Post by kempin »

Hey guys,

I've enjoyed reading what you all have to say about the p-64, and I can' think of a better crowd to ask . . .

I am somewhat new to handloading, and I would like to develop some loads for the p-64 in particular. (All data in manuals I have seen is for the heavier Makarov.) Specifically, I would like to perfect a reduced target load with, say, a 95 grain lead bullet. Would also be interested in what loads have provided the greatest ACCURACY with the Hornady XTP bullet.

(I know that the philosophy of many is "maximum load for stopping power," but the p-64 is not a magnum pistol. It is also said that "placement is power." Besides, the XTP is designed to expand fully at any speed.)

At any rate, has anyone developed loads for the p-64? Maybe this would be a good place to have a forum for what works and favorite recipies. I am a bit snow bound at the moment, but I would love to share results once I get to test some of my loads.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
mikethewreck

Any Handloaders?

Post by mikethewreck »

This is from saands (see the JHP and Glasers thread waaaay back in General Discussion:
I've been loading my own 95 gr XTPHP ammo with VihtaVuori N350 powder and running the velocities at around 1175fps (290 ft-lbs). It is a little warm, but I only use new brass and don't bother to pick it up. This is not my plinking ammo, but I've shot enough to know that it is reliable in the P64. When a wild dog (large lab-sized mutt) needed dispatching on the ranch, one of these rounds was tested and surprisingly, there was no exit wound on a chest shot from the side. I would have expected differently, but I don't think that over-penetration is a problem and I'm starting to wonder if under-penetration might be, even when loaded warmly.
kempin

Any Handloaders?

Post by kempin »

Interesting anecdote about the dog. As I said, the XTP is designed for maximum, extreme expansion. From the evidence I have been able to gather, (which is not extensive,) the xtp bullet expands to the size of a quarter at almost any speed. I am not surprised that there was no exit wound--that is what the bullet was designed for. It is not supposed to penetrate completely, but to transfer all of it's energy to the target. (Maximum stopping power.) No exit wound, but I bet that the dog did not keep going . . .

That is, in fact, why I think that the XTP doesn't need to be at absolute maximum velocity to be effective. If it is that efficient at transferring all of its energy to the target, then it would still provide effective stopping power at whatever velocity provides the greatest accuracy. (That's my theory, anyway. I put it here so that if I am wrong, someone more expert than myself will correct me.) After all, we are talking a difference of 1-250 fps between light and maximum loads. Not a huge difference in energy; not enough to sacrifice accuracy, anyway. (IMHO) Besides, it may turn out that the most accurate loads are the hottest--I just want to know what the most accurate load is.

Talked enough. Let me know what you think.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Any Handloaders?

Post by abwehr »

I don't handload much anymore, but when I was, I looked for bullets that would do the same as the XTP. For "personnal and upclose" shooting, I wanted maximum expansion and no exit. BUT, I also wanted the bullet to penetrate to near exiting. By the bullet not exiting, all the power is expended and maximum damage is done.

Never having shot the XTP, I have no experience, but I do like the PowR Ball round in my SIG .40 S&W. I have to agree with "kempin" on the bullets, and that some time the hottest load is the most accurate.

Reloading allows you to find that "right" load for your weapon. One pistol of the same make and model will shoot very accurate with one load, and another identical pistol will not group well at all. Of course, many time it is the shooter too, and I have proven that fact, LOL!
valkyrie0002

Any Handloaders?

Post by valkyrie0002 »

I used the load data that came with the LEE Makarov die set. About 2.4gr red dot w/ 93 gr LRN. A little hotter for the 95gr XTP, maybe 2.9gr Red dot(don't remember).

The LRN with 2.4gr Red dot is a very nice target load. Accurate and very manageable. I've shot at least 50rds of the target load.
kempin

Any Handloaders?

Post by kempin »

Valkyrie,
Thanks for the load data. I started working up my target loads with Win 231 (3 grains under a 95 gr. lrn) and was pleased with the feel, though I haven't had a chance to test for accuracy yet. I have not yet used Red Dot. Think it's worth picking some up?