Possible #16 Hammer spring problem!

Info, pictures, advice...
ecuman

Post by ecuman »

Guys, I am a Newbee so please forgive me if I use the wrong terms. I just got my P-64 from SOG a few days ago. I cleaned and lubed the pistol and fired about 18 rounds with no problems. DA, as expected, was hard, so I installed the Wolf #16 springs last night.

I fired about 48 round today. DA is now great but I had the following problems:

1. On one occasion, initial racking did not push the round (Wolf 100 gr. FMJ) completely into the chamber.

2. On two occasions, firing did not bring the next round (Wolf 100 gr. FMJ)completely in chamber.

3. On two occasions, the mag released after the final round without leaving the side open for the next mag.

I would love to use this pistol for carry but I am concerned that I am having these problems.

Could this be related to the weaker #16 springs? Is it wise to install #16 hammer springs without stronger recoil springs? Any suggestions.

Thanks
deadguy

Post by deadguy »

The weak recoil spring is the main problem with the P64. If you were only going to replace one spring, this is the one to replace. It will shoot much better, operate better, and be much kinder to your shooting hand afterwards. Replace the recoil spring, and the problems you listed should clear up.
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

First two sound like Wolf Ammo problem. Mag drop has happened to a few here, and as I recall, was blamed on hot, heavy for pistol ammo. This was made for 90-95 gr stuff. Bigger is pushing it.
ecuman

Post by ecuman »

Both of your comments make sense. To me, it seems logical that a weak recoil spring would be less likely able to consistantly pull the next round into the chamber. The added banging to the frame with a weaker recoil spring and with 100 gr ammo. would also possible account for dropping out the mags. I have ordered the HK recoil spring from Wolff and I will try it with 95 gr ammo. and report what happens. Sure hope that it works because I shoot my P-64 as well as my Mak.

Thanks
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

ECUMAN: plse post your experiences w/ the HK recoil spring, w/ step by step instructions. thnx, fjb
valkyrie0002

Post by valkyrie0002 »

Have replaced main spring with 16# on 4 P64's with no problems. Have left the original recoil springs in. No FTE or cycling problems.
ecuman

Post by ecuman »

valkyrie0002,

What ammo are you using? Does your mags pop out after last round?

Thanks
steve98664

Post by steve98664 »

I had the same problems with wolf on an unmodified P64. I have not had my mag drop. I think I need to wear in the pistol with better feeding ammunition. I'm gonna try wolf and HP's at that point.