Training Between Range Trips

Info, pictures, advice...
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

One way I try to keep in shooting shape between trips to the range is to shoot a Crosman Walther PPK replica BB gun in my basement. It actually cycles the slide and will bite you if you don't grip the handle well. No DA pull but the SA pull is very similar to the CZAK. I put them both on my bathroom scale and the BB gun was 0.1 lbs. less than an empty P-64. Sights and size are similar to the P-64 (BB gun has a bit wide rear sight aperture and a slightly shorter sight radius). Slide lock functions identically to CZAK (no slide release, pull back to release, holds open when clip empty). The magazine release, alas, is conventionally mounted. A non-functional safety placed where the CZAK's is. The real BB gun safety is a sliding lever on the right side of the pistol. The BB gun is magazine fed (looks like the front 1/4 of a P-64 magazine). Available for ~$69 at Wal-Mart.

Another member suggested the Baikal MP254K (available through Kentucky imports for $99 last I checked). This is actually a demilled Makarov modified to be a BB gun.

One advantage in using the BB gun is I can practice draws from a holster, firing and moving, and other fun things since it's my basement!

Any other ideas for staying in practice?
Last edited by mikethewreck on January 28th, 2006, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

I shoot phone books in my garage. You have to be careful to hit the phone book and to not hit it in the same place twice and to warn my wife prior to any shooting.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I have been thinking about getting one of the Air Soft pistols to practice with in my garage. They seen to be pretty decent and could be fun on bad weather days.

A friend of mine is in an assisted living community and he can't get to range much anymore, so I bought him an Air Soft to shoot in his room. So far, he says it is fun, better than shooting nothing, but would much prefer the real thing. He says his only problem is he wants to shoot his wife in the rear, and she said if he did, she would "crown" him! LOL
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

I don't think I've seen a PPK style airsoft pistol. I've been looking!
mongo

Post by mongo »

rubber bullets and primers if you have a loader. you can even get a handheld reloader for like 25 bucks. and just save your brass. It's not that loud and my neighbors know I shoot in my garage. they dont' care.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

mongo,

Where do you get the rubber bullets? This certainly sounds better than an Air Soft. Thanks for posting this information!
mongo

Post by mongo »

abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

Thanks "mongo", I had not seen these before. I guess I need to put in an order for some quickly!