Range Report

Info, pictures, advice...
burnsie

Range Report

Post by burnsie »

Here goes my first posting:

I just got back from the local public range where I shot my P-64 for the first time. I bought the P-64 in person at AIM for around $140 and it looked like it had been carried a bit (just a few little scuffs on the grip), and shot VERY LITTLE, IF AT ALL.

The "hand-bite" everyone talks about wasn't noticed until after I finished the first magazine. It was tolerable, just a bit of a pinch. On the second magazine, round number three jammed. The jam may have occurred because I was not yet used to the way the 64 shoots, and could have been limp-wristing or something - or perhaps it was the gun's fault (maybe because it hasn't been broken in, not sure). Either way, I fired a total of 62 rounds of Fiocchi, with just that one jam (so there is hope).

The main things that impressed me about the gun were:

1. The fluid single-action trigger (I have large hands, and after many dry-fires and some lube, the double-action has improved a bit, still kinda sucks, but doesn't bother me much). The single-action is very nice, especially for a millitary pistol.

2. This gun is VERY accurate had some wonderful groups, especially considering the size of the gun- the small sights actually helped in that respect.

My Conclusion:
Assuming the P-64 prooves reliable, I'll get a nice, light, thin IWB holster for it, and I'll give it a shot as a carry pistol.

Questions:
Does anyone have any opinions on that one jam? What do you think caused it?
Reccomendations for a light, thin IWB holster?
Reccomendations for carry ammo? I'm drifting towards FMJ since penetration seems to be pretty marginal with all the HP tests I've seen - and I'm definitely a penetration > expansion kinda guy.
Last edited by burnsie on January 26th, 2006, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mongo

Range Report

Post by mongo »

polish thy feedramp. I do on any military pistol I purchase as a matter of course.
burnsie

Range Report

Post by burnsie »

I will polish thine feedramp.
However, after sitting here and playing with the slide a bit, I have found that on its way back to its forward position, it seems to sometimes catch when it is only about a quarter of a inch from its normal resting point - leaving about a quarter-inch of the barrel exposed. So its catching on something...and after stripping it, it looks like it may be that arm that extends down the left side of the pistol. May have to dremel the rough points. Advice?
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Range Report

Post by abwehr »

burnsie,

This is my opinion on the jam, but since the pistol is new, I always expect a few jams until it gets broken in a little. These are Military pistols that are made under contract and sometime the final fit and finish is not up to commercial standards. As "mongo" stated, polishing the feed ramp never hurts any handgun.

One question, did you clean the preservative oil off the pistol before firing? This oil that comes on the pistol is not a good lubricating oil. Once clean, a good oiling and a little grease on the slide rails and contact points helps a lot.

As to the "catch" on closing, the arm on the left side may be making contact with the slide. Without seeing it, you may want to see it has a slight "bend" that could be straightened, or polish the area of contact. If it is catching or binding slightly, you should see some blue wear at the point of contact. This certainly could be Dremeled a little, but I would try polishing first.

Sometime certain pistols don't like certain ammo. I have only used Fiocci in my .30 Lugers and it worked great. I shoot Wolf in my P-64 and have only had an occasional jam once in a while, but since it has been broken in, no problems at all. I carry the FMJ standard Wolf ammo in mine, but I want to try the new CorBon PowRball when it comes out. I was impressed with the PowRball in .40 S&W. I figure that IF I have to use the pistol, most any ammo will certainly hurt the other person and slow him down.

Please let us know what you do, and the results of the next range trip.
mikethewreck

Range Report

Post by mikethewreck »

I just got back from shooting my two CZAKs at the range. My '67 with the disconnector problem was giving me fits, jamming and biting and failing to cycle the trigger. I'm taking her to a gunsmith soon.

My '76 with the 16# Wolff spring was much better behaved. Shot the Bartosz competition nicely. Did snip at my hand if I didn't get a solid grip low on the grip.

The Hornady ammo would occasionally fail to feed but only when it was the first round at the top of the clip. After that, it fed fine. I think I will put one of the Extreme Tactical rounds (like PowRBall it has a plastic plug and is shaped like a FMJ) at the top of the clip just to make sure. When the PowR Ball (on backorder) gets here I will start carrying that in the CZAK.

She pitched brass all over the place. Some times it would go straight up, other times to the right, others behind. Some casings were 20 feet away from the shooting station!

1 failure to fire with FMJ (S & B or Wolf, can't remember which) ammo. Second trigger pull fired the round.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Range Report

Post by dfunk »

Make sure your safety isn't engaged when the action is worked - I have seen some that won't fully go into battery with the saftey on.