Trigger Pull Problem?

Info, pictures, advice...
infamous1

Trigger Pull Problem?

Post by infamous1 »

I just got a P-64 my first handgun and found this board so this is my first post. After reading through the forums, I kept running across the really heavy trigger pull issue, yet the 1976 unissued P-64 I just bought does not have a really heavy double action trigger pull. I was just wandering if the military started switching the springs at some point in the production, or if the vendor must have switched it on mine, or if my gun is malfunctioning for some reason unknown to me. I took it apart to check for loose mechanisms or something, but I did not find anything that glared at me. Being new to handguns, I might just not know what a tough trigger pull feels like, but from what I read the trigger should be almost too hard to pull in double action. Any ideas?
nimble1

Trigger Pull Problem?

Post by nimble1 »

I guess that maybe its an individual perception. My gun is a 1977 and I thought that the pull was pretty heavy. I did swap out the spring and its better.
Like most people say, in the heat of battle, the trigger pull won't even be noticed. Most of us shoot single action when plinking so maybe we are making a big deal of nothing.
Congrats on your new gun and finding this website. Its a pretty neat little pistol and I carry mine as much as possible.
Last edited by nimble1 on January 26th, 2006, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Trigger Pull Problem?

Post by abwehr »

infamous1,

WELCOME to the P-64 Forum. So far, this is the only Forum that provides good information on the P-64. I think you will like the pistol!

As to the Trigger Pull, there have been some that have a decent DA pull, but most of them have a 24#+ pull in double action. You may be one of the lucky ones. I don't think the Vendor would change out the springs, but yours is a late production model (ended production in 1977) and the Radom Factory MAY have made a change, but I have not heard anything about it. Just feel lucky to have a good pull!

I would like to recommend that before firing, clean the pistol WELL. The oil on the pistol as it comes is rust preventative oil only and does not have much lubricating qualities. After a good cleaning, lubricate with a good oil/grease on the operating surfaces. I normally oil the trigger mechanism and apply a light coating of grease on the sliding surfaces. With grease, if you are in a cold area, may need to be thinned with some oil so it will function properly. IF it is real cold, a light oil may be best.

Also, take a few minutes and read the previous postings and you will get a lot of historical information and some modifications the guys have done. One historical note from our members in Poland is the hard DA pull was so the pistol would reliably shoot the hard primers in submachine gun ammunition. The may have changed ammo type late in production and made a change in the spring to give a better pull????????

Please come back often and report you first experience firing the pistol.
novgarod

Trigger Pull Problem?

Post by novgarod »

Welcome, infamous1,

As far as trigger pull is concerned, you have somehow lucked out, but overall it seems the DA trigger is, as our moderator says, 24-25# as per specs. However, after switching out the main spring for a 20# PPK spring, the trigger pull on my 1975 CZAK is now like an unchanged 1968 model recdently found at a gun show. Go figure!? We need more trigger pull data on the original main springs from our forum using "instrumentation" (fish scales?) to measure the variation in trigger pull vs manuf. date - but hey, we do have a fix with Wolff springs and they are easy to exchange, thanks to the instructions from our forum members. Have fun here - we do! Try the Bartos' shooting competition and report back.
Last edited by novgarod on January 29th, 2006, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Trigger Pull Problem?

Post by dolang1 »

I just ordered Wolff springs. I rarely use DA so I pretty much skimmed over all the DA and spring discussions until I found out that I am going to have rotator cuff surgery next week. I was whining to my brother about not being able to pull my slide back on any of my semi-autos and that I would be shooting a revolver for six to eight weeks. He said you can put one in the chamber with your P-64 in DA. After reading all of the info I ordered 2 14# and 2 16# springs from Wolff. Thanks again to this site.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Trigger Pull Problem?

Post by dolang1 »

OK, I've been had. I called my brother back and told him there was no way the DA will chamber a round. He agreed and said he didn't know I was going to put this misinformation online. He just wanted me to to go to the range and look stupid. I guess, I'll just beg strangers at the gun range to pull my slide back for me.
infamous1

Trigger Pull Problem?

Post by infamous1 »

Thanks for the info. I will give a range report once I take it out.
jbailey

Trigger Pull Problem?

Post by jbailey »

dolang1: Get help on the first chambering and then shoot five round strings, and a "tactical reload"? Get a CZ 100, which has a bracket on the top of the slide that allows one-handed chambering or malfunction clearance on the edge of the bench? Drill a hole slightly larger than the barrel, just in from the edge of a piece of good hardwood and clamp it to the bench, and, with practice, you can chamber one handed. Good luck with the rotator cuff!
tunnelrat

Trigger Pull Problem?

Post by tunnelrat »

I found out that I am going to have rotator cuff surgery next week.
I've had the rotator cuff surgery. It is not nearly as much fun as it is cracked up to be. It took me about six months to get back to full strength and range of motion.

Meanwhile, give some thought to the suggestion about 5-round strings then a tactical reload. This little P-64 has a very nice single action that shouldn't be a problem for you -- stitches and all...