New Guy

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

New Guy

Post by kempin »

Hey Guys,

FINALLY, a board where people know wha the heck a p-64 is! (And don't have to add 15 posts just to remind everyone that it is not, technically, a Makarov.)

I have found the p-64 to be a great little pistol so far. The biggest drawback is that the bite can make it unpleasant to shoot after a while. That got me to thinking . . . Most, probably all, commercial ammo is loaded for the Mak, which has a bigger spring and heavier slide. Some is even loaded for a Mak with an extra heavy spring. Naturally, this ammo in a p-64 would make it buck quite a bit, and is probably not good for the longevity of the pistol.

It occurred to me that if the round was loaded down to what the gun was designed for, it might function better.

I experimented a little (3.0 gr. of Win 231 with a 95 gr. bullet) and it seemed to shoot well. It was certainly MUCH more comfortable.

Have any of you loaded specifically for the p-64? If so, what has worked/not? I would love to share info if anyone has tried. I even have a suspicion that this could be a fun little range pistol with the right target load.

God Bless and straight shooting,

Kempin
fjblackesq

New Guy

Post by fjblackesq »

Sounds like good thinking to me... I do not load my own, but would like to get some and try to see what it was like.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

New Guy

Post by abwehr »

kempin,

First, WELCOME to the P-64 Forum!!! We hope you will have a pleasnat experience with us. We all get along well, love the P-64, and otehr handguns too!

Since you are new, take a little time and read the previous postings. There is a lot of goooooood information you can gather about the pistol, ammo, differnt springs to make the DA better, holsters, etc.

I like your idea about reloading the 9mm Makarov down to make the P-64 a little more tame for shooting sessions. Thanks for posting your loading data.

We hope you will come back often and participate in our conversations!!
tunnelrat

New Guy

Post by tunnelrat »

I even have a suspicion that this could be a fun little range pistol with the right target load.
You are quite correct. Our Polish Army posters advise us that they do their P-64 target shooting at 25 yards!
ozarker

New Guy

Post by ozarker »

First welcome to our forum. I think you will find us all civil here. And any legit gun discussion is permitted. Like the white box 9mm Para..it would be nice to have some softer load for our 9X18... However most of us use it for CCW. Again welcome.