Another Fractured Safety

Info, pictures, advice...
jbailey

Another Fractured Safety

Post by jbailey »

Today, while working a table at a local show, I sold a bulgarian Mak to a young man who had just "unloaded" his P-64 (for $75!) to someone because after 50 or so rounds, his safety fractured. From what he could tell me (he was NOT experienced, nor very 'mechanical'), it sounded just like what spidersbitme reported back in November. Sure wish I could have bought the rest of the gun for parts or to fabricate another safety!!!

On a brighter note, I scored an original of the D.R. Morse P-64 manual for a dollar from a guy who said "It came with the gun", but when he sold the gun, he forgot to include the manual. Much better image quality than the download and print of the scanned version available here!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Another Fractured Safety

Post by abwehr »

Wow, I would like to have made a buy like that myself! These problems do happen with most firearms. It can be from bad heat treating, a bad piece of steel, or other problem that will never be known! As long as it is not common, problems like this are a "fluke" and we all hope we are not the ones with the bad part, LOL.

Good score on the Manual! I would like to have a copy of an original Polish Manual.....can't read it, but it would be nice to have with the pistol!
jbailey

Another Fractured Safety

Post by jbailey »

When I got my '64, I made a VERY careful study of the safety, because I was planning (and did) disable the hammer-drop feature for cocked and locked carry. No heavy DA pull problems for me, thanks!) Let's face it, the safety piece IS a bit 'Rube Goldberg'! I am not surprised that any weakness in the metallurgy leads to a fracture. I have NEVER liked hammer-drop safeties, and NEVER use one. And double never with a loaded chamber! To rely on a piece of 'swiss cheese steel' to stop you from having, as they like to call it, an "accidental discharge" is an invitation for a foot shooting, or worse. "The only real safety is between your ears."

It seems to me that two of these fractures is two too many. Each time you fire a round, the hammer slams into the upper flat of the safety, flexing it slightly between the two frame holes. And each time you put it on safe without controlling the hammer, the safety takes a real hit on the two little ears on either side of the firing pin. Each time you use the hammer drop safety, how do you know if it will be the last time for your particular safety? You DON'T!, short of magnafluxing the little devil. In the meantime, ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and don't use the hammer drop unless there's no other safe option.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Another Fractured Safety

Post by abwehr »

jbailey,

You hit the perverbial "nail on the head" with your comments. I don't trust the hammer-drop safities either! The Safety Lever has too many cuts with 90 deg. corners which severely weakens the part. If the steel has ANY inclusions or the Heat Treating is off the least bit, they will break from the repeated hammering they get from the Hammer-Drop. Although not common, it does happen on the Walther P.38, PP, and PPK. Qaulity Control is paramount for this part. The real safety is what you stated; "The only real safety is between your ears."

Firearms safety is one of the most important things you must observe. If not, you, your spouse, children, friends, or casual observers can get seriously hurt or killed. We must keep safety No. 1 when firearms are involved.