New to P64 --- Which variation is best?

Info, pictures, advice...
ecuman

Post by ecuman »

Just found and joined this message board and I am impressed with the info. available and the helpful attitude of the members. I currently have a Russian PM Mak and a Russian TT33. I plan to add the P64 to my collection next week from Aim or SOG.

By chance, will these sellers allow me to request a specific variation or is it just pot luck? If not, which an I likely to get? How would you guys rank the variations from most desirable to least?

Thanks
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

From what I've seen unless you are perusing a gun shop or display at a gun show it is whatever they grab. I own a first variation (1967) and a third (1976). Out of the box the first variation was better (less DA trigger pull) and shot nicer. I usually carry my third variation because my '67 has a disconnector problem (has to be rapped to be able to fire after disengaging the safety) I haven't got around to fixing yet. With a replacement Wolff 16# PP spring, my third variation is working well for me. It has a plum colored finish on the slide that seems to show wear more than my '67.
Last edited by mikethewreck on January 21st, 2006, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

You could probably ask them to pick a particular one, but I'm sure they would charge you the infamous $10 hand-pick fee. Pot luck is more fun, though. They're all good (especially SOG with the 3 mags).
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

ecuman,

Welome to the P-64 Forum!!! You definetly will find the folks here ready and willing to help with questions.

Ordering from Aim MIGHT get you the date you are looking since Aim is a smaller company than SOG, but they will probably want a hand pick fee. As "dickfunk" stated, the SOG deal with the 3 mags is a sweet. I have the First and Third Variation like "mikethewreck" and am looking for the Second Variation. The first P-64 you buy will be infectious; the price is low and they really are great pistols!

Take some time while you are waiting on its arrival and read the posting so far. There is so much technical and historical information to be found here. Keep us posted when the new "bundle of joy" arrives, LOL!

SInce you have a TT33, here is a little strou for you.......I have several Makarovs myself, a Russian, Bulgarian, and an E. German. I also have a Russina TT33 that my dad brought back from Germany after the war. When he was there, he had a German girlfriend and her brother who was fighting on the Russian Front, brought home a TT33 and a Nagant revolver when he came home for leave. He had carried the TT33 and I also have the holster too. It was modified with belt loops like the Germans used. Dads girlfriend was scared having the weapons in her home as they would go to prison if cought with them and her brother had been killed at some point, so he accepted them. Both pistols are are in great condition!