Sight Enhancement

Info, pictures, advice...
onapar

Sight Enhancement

Post by onapar »

I am up in the years and my eyes are not what they used to be.
I picked up some orange and green model paint at walmart and a very fine brush.
I painted the back of the front sight green and the back of the rear sight orange the colors are kind of florescent and are really easy to pick up on.
I have done this to most of my hand guns and it is a great help to me.
Just thought I would pass it on to the rest of the group.
:)
tunnelrat

Sight Enhancement

Post by tunnelrat »

I painted the back of the front sight green and the back of the rear sight orange the colors are kind of florescent and are really easy to pick up on.
I have done this to most of my hand guns and it is a great help to me.
I agree that a bit of paint on the sights makes a big difference. Years ago I got some stuff called "Bright Sights". It's a kit with several different colors of paint designed just for gun sights.

I usually use green or yellow and find that makes it much easier to pick up a front sight with these tired old eyes. I hadn't considered painting the rear sights until I read your post.
mikethewreck

Sight Enhancement

Post by mikethewreck »

Put some clear nail polish over the paint. I used the bright sights paint and holster wear wiped it off my P-64.
fjblackesq

Sight Enhancement

Post by fjblackesq »

be sure and wipe trhe sights off with alcahol before using bright sights, it will not stick or last if any oil etc is on the sights.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Sight Enhancement

Post by abwehr »

I can sure agree with you guys about the "old eyes". I am finding it more and more difficult to shoot pistols. I can either see the sights and not the target or see the target and nothing but fuzz with the sights.

Many moons ago when I was in the Army, I had a course with the .45 auto and the course was an advanced pistol course for combat. The instructor tought us to fire by instinct and not use the sights. He said the eyes will fool you, but your mind will not. He explained that when you use your finger to point at an object, you can sight down the finger and you will most likely be right on! He said this was because your brain was doing the work and not your eyes. He said to think of the end of the barrel as the end of your "pointing" finger.

To show us how this worked (this was night shooting too), he said to fire the weapon three times at the target (5 meters away) using the sights and lighting. We did this and the groups were very good. Now he said to look at the target and get a mental picture. He turned off the lights and we had total darkness. When he blew his whistle, we were to draw our pistol, fire three rounds and reholster. We did this and then he turned on the lights. Out of five on the line, four out of the five had tighter groups than using sights and the lights on!!! The four with tight groups could cover the three shots with the lid of a Skoal can! The one that did worse still produced a good hit zone. I was amazed and it made a believer out of me for combat shooting.

He went on to say that target shooting will produce better groups, but in a combat situation, you want solid body or head shots that will stop the enemy, even for a couple of seconds so you finish him off if needed.

Have any of you guys tried this type shooting?
onapar

Sight Enhancement

Post by onapar »

Abwher
That is very interesting next time I am at the range I will try that.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Sight Enhancement

Post by abwehr »

onapar,

It is very interesting how well your mind works when the eyes will fail you. When you try it, shoot at a close combat range of about 3-5 meters first. What you are looking for is body or head hits. If the enemy is hit the body, they usually stop, and if you pump 2-3 more shots when firing, that will hold them. Please keep us posted on your results.

Just be relaxed and fire as if the end of the barrel is your fingertip. I think you will be amazed with the results.
nscale

Sight Enhancement

Post by nscale »

Very interesting abwehr. I have heard of the point and shoot technique, but nothing quite like this. I will have to try closing my eyes at the range using this idea. Of course it may concern my fellow shooters when they see my eyes closed.
cruiser

Sight Enhancement

Post by cruiser »

Try it in the house. Using your pistol, just point at various objects around the room, then look across the sights. It will surprise you if you have never tried it. You can do it also by pointing with your forefinger and then sighting along it. You will be dead on. At least close enough to cause serious damage to your attacker.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Sight Enhancement

Post by abwehr »

cruiser,

Sounds like you know the program! This is one of the best techniques for use when a situation arises and you have to use your CCW. The assailant will never know what hit him.

But, even this technique required practice. When I had the course, I was already Expert qualified. To me, this is the best way for actual combat situations.
butch50

Sight Enhancement

Post by butch50 »

That reminds me of the instinctive shooting style we were taught in Army basic training in 71. They were trying to teach us to fire instinctively when in a sudden fire-fight and not waste time trying to use the sights. This was with AR-15s, not pistols.

They drilled us with bb guns and round flat aluminum disks about 3" in diameter. They would throw the disks up in the air and we would fire from "the hip" so to speak. Not firing with the bb gun shouldered.

Then we would walk down simulated jungle trails and pop up targets would pop up unexpectedly and we would fire at the targets, this time with the AR-15s and live ammo. It was a blast, and I don't recall ever missing one of the targets. Strictly from the hip.

Of course we went through the regular firing line drills too.
tunnelrat

Sight Enhancement

Post by tunnelrat »

Capt. WE Fairbairn & Capt. EA Sykes wrote about this style of aiming in their book: Shooting to Live. It is extremely effective at ranges of up to 5 meters. Beyond that, the sights become more necessary.

Even so, Jeff Cooper teaches what he calls a "flash sight picture" based on the premise that when you draw and orient your firearm you are very likely aiming towards your target already. Thus all you need to do is to confirm your aim with a quick glance through the sights.

When possible I try to fire at least one magazine in this point shooting manner whenever I practice. Both the P-64 and the Makarov tend to point naturally.
valkyrie0002

Sight Enhancement

Post by valkyrie0002 »

I shoot .22 in NRA gallery course. I found that after shooting for a few years, once I get the pistol gripped properly I can point and be very close to target. "Muscle Memory" like any sport, practice is required.
ozarker

Sight Enhancement

Post by ozarker »

Practice is the word.. I just don't shoot as much today as I did as a kid..When a kid my friends(when shooting just 2)and I would put up bottles, cans and practive snap shooting (instinctive). We progressed to turning our backs and when theother shouted NOW, we turned found the target (can, bottle)and fired. went thru a lot a .22's, but got pretty good at this.. You don't have time to aim.. Also when in the Army basic we had to take the ole M1 and go thru a course doing popup's. Of course after doing this day after day -- The DI followed you thru this course with his hands on your harness. He generally gave you a little tug one way are the other just before the target came up..:=)
onapar

Sight Enhancement

Post by onapar »

one more Question
How about the dominant eye? My left eye is dominant should I be closing my right eye? O use both eyes when using the sights?