I shot my P64's

Info, pictures, advice...
rmeron

I shot my P64's

Post by rmeron »

Both guns are more than acurate enough for defensive purposes.
The mag kept falling out in the 68 with the 18 lb spring after the last shot,that was the only misfeed I had.
The 73 vintage worked flawlessly(you really have to pay attention and keep your finger away from the trigger after the initial DA since the SA is so sensitive).
When I got home I put the 20lb spring in the 68 and proceeded to dry fire.The mag release seems to hold tighter,so I'm hoping that cured my problem.
Now the funny thing,when dryfiring the 73 with the 18 lb spring and the 68 with the 20,the trigger pull seems to be identical,what gives?
Talk about stinging your hand.The next trip to the range I'll try Dennis's grips.
Someone on the forum mentioned putting a Hogue grip sleeve on their 64,can that person say what has to be done to do that?
doyle

I shot my P64's

Post by doyle »

Think of that magazine falling out is a "desirable feature". Since changing magazines in a firefight is difficult with a P-64 due to the clumsy magazine release, an automatic dropping after the last shot would be perfect.

As to recoil, try adjusting your grip. I don't notice any recoil sting at all. But then again, I'm used to shooting SA's in .357 and .44 mag.
electross

I shot my P64's

Post by electross »

Hi rmeron

I've done a little work on the hammer struts of both of my P64's.
When you have the hammer spring off to change it, try sliding the spring back and forth on the strut with the strut out of the pistol. Feel how course it feels. Buff that up and smooth it out some. Slide the hammer spring back and forth and notice the difference. Do both of your P64's and see if they don't have the same trigger feel. The hammer spring does not ride up and down on the strut and touch in all places, but for the places it does come into contact ,it will have a smooth surface. Basically reduce friction points. I also remove the trigger bar (it's a real bugger to put back in) and buff up the stud on the bar that goes into the hole of the trigger and where the spring rests across the top.
Do that to both and they should both feel close to being the same. Mine each have a 20# spring in the 1975 and a 19# spring in the 1973. These are just suggestions, someone else may have some other tips for you that would work better for you. This has worked for me. Have fun. ;D
redfestiva

I shot my P64's

Post by redfestiva »

The mag kept falling out in the 68 with the 18 lb spring after the last shot,that was the only misfeed I had.
When I first got my P-64 it had a lighter hammer spring installed in it and the magazine would drop after the last round fired. I put a factory hammer spring in and it has not done it again after hundreds of rounds. I think you have solved that problem.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

I shot my P64's

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Rmeron,
Go to the Wolf gun springs home page and order the 22lb. recoil spring , install it and you will never have to worry about sharp recoil ever again. You may have to flatten off about one half of the last coil to get it to fit but this is an easy task done with a fine jewelers file or a rubber wheel on a rotary tool of some sort. Along with the recoil spring they will send you a new heavier firing pin spring to stop the possibility of slam fires. I found that it was not necessary to replace mine. If you choose to do so Norm has posted accurate information to do the job and it is a relatively simple process.
Good luck.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on April 16th, 2008, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmeron

I shot my P64's

Post by rmeron »

Thanks, I've got the 20lb spring on there now.