For those of you that carry the P-64...

Info, pictures, advice...
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Let's assume you don't carry 24x7.

When you are ready to go out and carry your P-64:

Do you keep your P-64 loaded in a safe place, and just pick it up, holster and take off?

Or, when you are going out, do you insert mag, rack slide, work safety to drop hammer (and work safety again if you carry w/safety off), holster, and take off?

It seems like it's easier and safer just to leave the P-64 loaded and ready. All the racking and safety manipulation seems to open one's self to potential, er, problems...

Anyone?

By stating this, I'm not saying I'm befuddled by the process, I'm just interested in how everyone else does it.

stib
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

I keep four hand guns loaded in the house, my P-64 is in the holster and in the morning when I leave I just put it on as part of my regular leave- lighter,wallet,keys and gun. If I unloaded and locked it up it really wouldn't make much sense if we had a breach at home! I go to great lengths to make sure the guns are ready yet safe and AWAY from my little one. We are armed with bullets, preparedness, and prayer.
Last edited by michaelap on March 30th, 2008, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmeron

Post by rmeron »

I don't carry the P64 yet because I haven't been able to do some range time to see how they work.I carry my Makarov round in chamber safety off,the only change is the safety is in when i go to bed.I'll be carrying the P64 the same way.
electross

Post by electross »

I don't carry. Or have felt the need to carry as of yet even though I have a carry permit in Ohio. But I would be loading an empty magazine each morning, put the magazine in place, rack the slide loading a round into battery, lower the hammer and leave the safety off. If needed I would cock the hammer with my thumb and use the handgun until I did not need it. God forbid I ever have to do that. I haven't felt the need to have a loaded handgun in the home in case of a home invasion, but with each day that passes it seems the criminal element is getting more daring and not concerned about whether someone is home or not. When I feel uncomfortable, I will be prepared. Children in my home are not a concern at this moment. All have grown (sorta) and moved away. Top sentence is how I would carry. Safety off or on has been a debate earlier and to each his own. :)
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I do carry, but not as often as I should. When I do it's usually a P-64 but I have a few options, one of which is a revolver.
When not carried, the gun is left loaded in a safe place. It is not the only loaded handgun in the house. My preference for auto pistols is a hammer fired SA/DA design. It is carried or at hand with one in the tube and safety off. It is just like a double action revolver for all practical purposes.
The reason behind this is simplicity and uniformity. Pick up the gun, pull the trigger and it shoots. I don't want to find myself awakened in the night having to think if the safety is on and fumbling to get it off.
I have no children in the house and I haven't found the cat playing with the guns yet so I feel safe.
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

I for one am going to leave the safety issue alone that has been done to death recently, however I want to keep an eye on the cats!
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

loaded and ready to go .. just so I dont have to think about it and leave with an empty gun if in hurry.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

+1
I carry everyday, when you think your safe, thats when you may need it. :o
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

I carry my Makarov every day. I leave it loaded with one in the pipe, hammer down, safety off. I'm with Donnerwetter on the reasons.

If I get to the range, I clean afterwards. If I don't get to the range, I clean it once a week.

Once I get my P-64 failure to feed issues worked out, I'll be carrying it all the time. That's my 1969. If I get enough failure-free rounds through my 1975, I'll carry that one.

Not to hijack, but do they make extra power springs for P-64 magazines?
electross

Post by electross »

This is a fun thread, doing some more thinking about it, when I feel its needed, my personal home protection would be different than my carry protection and I would carry my P64 without a doubt. It would be unloaded each evening by ejecting the one in the barrel and removing the mag. Load'er up in the morning before leaving. Home protection handgun would be ready and would only be un-loaded to clean, practice etc. Those are my thoughts ;D
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Well, my thoughts on this thread were not really IF you carry, or HOW you carry, but just the steps you go through to ready the P-64 (if any).

Does anyone rack the P-64 with the safety ON ??? (I don't like to do this, although there should be nothing wrong with doing this)
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Everything I carry has one in the chamber and I never use the safety's, I depend on the holster to protect the trigger. Same situation at home until the grand children come for a visit then everything is locked up or put out of reach.
G.R. ;)
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

When the P-64 is not on my person, I take it out of the holster and put it in its gun case loaded 1 up /6 down safety off. The case is hidden in a place that is inconspicuous yet easily accessible to me. There are no children in the house, only my wife and me .
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Does anyone rack the P-64 with the safety ON ??? (I don't like to do this, although there should be nothing wrong with doing this)
I rack the slide but not with safety on , in fact the safety is never on my guns,I don't carry a round in the chamber because out of instinct I'd rack a live round out of the gun if I did

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on March 31st, 2008, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jakub66

Post by jakub66 »

Keep mine stored in safe place untill it's tome to put it on.
Holstered, safety off, one up the spout. DA provides plenty of safety.
Once a week: mag change, fild strip, light clean, and exercise mechanism.
Once a month (or more often time permiting): range time, and good clean.