For those of you that carry the P-64...

Post by trent »

I need to get more organized like you jakub66
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I carry everyday. Once a week or more I take my P-64 apart (slide off) clean, inspect lub, check mag, put back together and reload. I feel very comfortable about carrying any of my P-64's or my PA-63 and if my Springfield .45 wasn't so heavy I'd carry it. I don't think I would carry if I wasn't confident in my weapon. :) :)
orchidhunter

Post by orchidhunter »

I am amazed at the number of people that carry, sometimes 40 year old milsurp pistols for personal defence. The milsurp pistols are fun to tinker with and fun at the range, but trust my life to what the Eastern Block countrys consider to be surplus, no way. Those of you that do, good luck and stay safe. orchidhunter
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

to a carry a milsurp is just not a spur of moment decision. I am sure that anyone of us who do have done a ton of research and comparisons of everything that is on the market ,be it domestic or from another country, or surplus .Plus am sure that we who choose this route are more well versed then most people who choose to or have to carry.I will speak for only self but besides knowing my pistols inside out and a maintenance freak, plus a practice addict. I trust my life to them. I can go on but why . I believe all who choose this route have all made a intelligent and researched choice.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I am amazed at the number of people that carry, sometimes 40 year old milsurp pistols for personal defence. The milsurp pistols are fun to tinker with and fun at the range, but trust my life to what the Eastern Block countrys consider to be surplus, no way. Those of you that do, good luck and stay safe. orchidhunter
orchidhunter,

I'm not sure if you are knocking the Eastern Bloc surplus pistols for CCW, or the fact that they are to old [40 years old] for CCW or both, but since we are fee to express our opinions here I'd like to offer mine.

I guess since one of my CCW pistols is a surplus Eastern Bloc 1976 [32yr old] P-64 it gets under your radar of disheartened amazement if you are only talking age. Image
It goes bang every time and with a wide range of ammo, and for me its safe to carry 6+1 with safety off, because I practice, practice, practice with it at least twice a month as I do with all the handguns I carry for personal defense, its not a tinker or plinker for me its a draw and point shoot pistol that goes bang every time.

Now for my other 40 year old CCW's that go bang every time.

This is my 1962 E. German Makarov [46 years old] Eastern Bloc pistol.
It goes band every time also with a wide range of ammo, and I carry it from time to time depending on where I am going.

This is my 1966 BHP [42 years old], but its European so its another under your radar of a amazement because it not Eastern Bloc, but its over the 40 year old class.

This is my 1960 S&W 36-0 [48 years old]

I'm amazed that you are amazed that so many of us on this P-64 board use this Eastern Bloc 40 year old pistol for CCW, I'm also amazed that you would even bring it up on this board unless of course you are wanting to start something as you have on other boards. So good luck to you and stay safe with what ever you choose to carry.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
gypsydavy

Post by gypsydavy »

I've decided that when I get my CCW I will be carrying my TRUSTY, OLD 64 with one in the chamber, safety off. That's the way I keep it in the house. My lady knows and understands this. Just pick it up and shoot it! I clean after shooting and load it back up.

As for flowerstalkers comments: You dis'n my piece? If all the great experience and knowledge available on this board hasn't convinced you of the quality and reliability of the P-64, I really don't know what you're doing here. Personally, I researched nearly every available handgun for under $500 and found NONE with proven reliablity any better than the 64. Do you own a 64? If so, maybe you should sell it to one of us! Cheap of course since it's such a POS!

gypsydavy
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

I'm also wondering about our "flowerchild". I just googled forums and it came up with 1,570,000,000 hits. So then I hit gun forums, and it came up with 647,000 hits. So somewhere out there is a nice place for him to plant himself. Because it doesn't seem he wants to quite fit in with the other vegetation that is here already. Seems there may be some weeding :( necessary, EH?
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

OH, I think you'll get some more heated responses to your statements.
I have had fewer FTFs with the 1000 or so rounds in my P-64s and Makarovs than with 2-300 rounds thru two new 1911s.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
electross

Post by electross »

stibnite,
There's plenty of responses to your question and I guess I don't really carry often enough (hardly ever). Quite a range of styles on preparing for the day. Someone mentioned that they may not trust older eastern bloc handguns. If the handgun is maintained, loaded with modern ammo and in the hands of a competent owner, it will go bang, just as advertised. My P64 is under construction on the DA, but I have some Makarov's I would carry anytime. One is a E.German from 1964. ;)
protector

Post by protector »

One in the pipe,mag loaded,safety on,holstered, 24/7.
Aim small,hit small...
ozarker

Post by ozarker »

I'm not going to bite. I'm sure all of us have other gun forums we cruise. I do and there is always someone trying something. This is more than I normally say. Now back to the link.

My main carry is the P64. Completely stock. According to time of year, most times with a fanny pack. I also have 2 extra mags in the pack. We all know the DA of the P64 so I keep one in the tube and safety off most time. If I go into someplace I feel secure about I've been known to reach inside and put safety on.

Now in the summer if the wife and I are out walking and I'm dressed in shorts, Tshirt I carry my wifes KelTec P32. She does not have a CCW. As you know the P32 has no safety and I have one in the tube with a 10rd mag.
magicdoc

Post by magicdoc »

I do not carry my P-64. It is a fun at the range gun. I do have a ccw and carry daily. In the summer months (T-Shirt Season) I carry a Bulgarian Makarov. Full mag, 1 in the pipe, safety off in an IWB holster. In the cooler months, I carry a Commander size 1911. I carry "condition one" which means full mag, cocked, safety on (cocked and locked). I also carry it in a leather IWB Holster. At night, whatever I carried That day is removed from the holster, wiped down with a silicone impregnated cloth and placed on my nightstand. As much as I love my mak, that 1911 has gotten so comfy that it may become my year-round carry piece. Nice to know that all I would have to do in an emergency is release the safety and and apply 3 lbs of pressure to defend myself.
Doc
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

To the original question:
I keep my P64 loaded and ready to go, when I get home from work and need to go out, I stick it in my waistband Mexican -style, butt-forward on my left hip. No muss, no fuss. ( I carry a different gun to work). BTW, it is also my preferred "nightstand" gun due to the double-action but substantial trigger pull functioning--I figure it will be ready to go in an instant, but less likely to fire by mistake in a newly-awoken state.
ourbigbluehouse

Post by ourbigbluehouse »

Only carry occasionally depending on what I am doing. When I do it's six in mag, one in pipe, hammer down and safety off. I've practiced drawing and cocking.
k31swiss

Post by k31swiss »

I have a friend who carried a P-64 in a paddle holster, with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety off.

One day he went to store it in the glove compartment of the car. Snagged the hammer on the edge of the compartment just snapping it a little. Blew a hole in the glove compartment and interior panel of the passenger door.

I changed the hammer spring with a lighter spring to make the DA manageable and now he carries with the safety on.